Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mac user wants to join the Glorious PC Master Race

[raebakat]           sup folks
[raebakat]           is this tech support, I guess?
[+Alexendoo]   That it is raebakat
[raebakat]           Alright. my question is a bit specific, but I'm trying to get alien isolation to work on vmware fusion, the guest OS is windows 8.1. for some reason the installation doesn't like my graphics card, even though I have 2048mb allocated to the VM
[raebakat]           Anyone know anything about graphics sharing in guest operating systems? I can give any technical specs if needed.
[raebakat]           If no one can answer my question, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where I might be able to find help.
[raebakat]           Anyway, now that GreyGoose has stirred up the lurkers, does anyone know anything about running games in VMs?
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, I know it's a bad idea.
[raebakat]           lol Kumorigoe thanks. I can't seem to find anyone who will help me instead of saying "wtf are you doing that for?"
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, that should tell you something.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe the problem is, PCs suck. terribly. worst operating system on the market. yet, they are still needed because there is so much proprietary software etc.
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, uh, what?
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, you want to elaborate on your PC comment?
[raebakat]           lol Kumorigoe not really, my opinion is highly unpopular.
[Kumorigoe]      I'm curious as to what you think running games in a VM would make better.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe not having to drop the additional 1k to buy a PC that can run games...
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, you don't know much about PCs, do you?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I use them all the time...
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, so you want to get a cheap PC, and then run games in a VM?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I have an expensive mac, with more than the hardware required to run PC games. I am looking for the most viable means of running them.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I'd ideally not like to buy a separate PC for gaming.
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, have you never heard of Boot Camp?
[+Alexendoo]    raebakat, Boot camp?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah, boot camp is really fucked up for windows 8 and later
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, according to who?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe apple is essentially not supporting it, the drivers are all messed up
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe my experience with it, as well as talking to apple employees. I had my VM as a bootcamp partition, but I got a new computer, so I turned it in to a VM file
[raebakat]           because I didn't want to lose the data
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, no backups?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe uh, that's a nightmare
[Kumorigoe]      Really?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah
[Kumorigoe]      I manage it.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe you have done it before? transferred a bootcamp partition to a new HD?
[Kumorigoe]      No, I meant backing up data before replacing a machine.
[Kumorigoe]      Also, Boot Camp is not the same thing as a VM.
[Kumorigoe]      You seem to be mixing those up.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah, I can do that with a .vdmk file in fusion, but to partition a new HD and put the information from bootcamp on it rarely works well
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe uh, no I'm not
[Kumorigoe]      " I had my VM as a bootcamp partition, but I got a new computer, so I turned it in to a VM file"
[Kumorigoe]      At any rate, why not just back up the data to an external drive, then redo the OSs from scratch?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I had my (currently) vm as a bootcamp partition, so I transformed the data on the partition into a .vdmk file for fusion.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe and you can't back them up to the same drive, because it would have to be formatted differently
[+Alexendoo]    You shouldn't be backing up to the same drive anyway raebakat
[+Alexendoo]    But even still, what?
[Kumorigoe]      So back up the Windows side, then properly set either a Boot Camp partition for dual boot, or a VM using fusion.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah it can be done, but you need software like winclone.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I figured it would be easier to use vmware, since my comp has the technical specs to run both OSs at the same time
[raebakat]           plus, VMware advertises that they support 3d graphics
[raebakat]           and direct
[raebakat]           *directx
[Kumorigoe]      So you're saying that you can't boot into your existing VM, plug in a hard drive, and copy data from it?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe of course I can, I don't see how that is relevant though...
[%NOC]                Skullchaos: I have never put on a custom GPU fan assembly and do not
[Kumorigoe]      You don't see how that's relevant to backing up data?
[+Alexendoo]    raebakat, Because that's what a backup is? o.o
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe I was talkinga bout backing up bootcamp, not a VM
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe and why I am using vmware instead of bootcamp currently, per your question
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, let me ask you a question.
[Kumorigoe]      What are the specs of this Macbook Pro?
[raebakat]           3.0 GHz intel i7, 16GB ram, 512 TB SSD, intel iris graphics
[Kumorigoe]      Ok.  Now, tell me why Windows would run poorly on that hardware?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe it shouldn't...
[Kumorigoe]      Because I can build a machine with those same specs, or very close to it.
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, here's what I'm getting at.  You're already running PC hardware.  If you want to play games, it will work MUCH better installing Windows directly to a partition on your drive using Boot Camp than running it as a VM.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah, but that uses up valuable SSD space, requires rebooting, and a whole bunch of other stuff that probably isn't worth it just to run a few games. I'm really hoping to get a solution that doesn't require that.
[Kumorigoe]      And a VM doesn't take up any SSD space?
[Big_Brother]    uh...what Kumorigoe ?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah, because I can run it from an external drive
[Kumorigoe]      Wow.
[@Big_Brother]                run a VM from an external?
[@Big_Brother]                *shudder*
[raebakat]           lol Big_Brother
[@Big_Brother]                damn things are slow enough.
[Kumorigoe]      It's like you're running down a checklist of how to make your PC gaming experience as bad as possible.
[raebakat]           rofl
[raebakat]           let's try something else then
[raebakat]           how about wineskin?
[Kumorigoe]      How much did this Mac cost again?
[Big_Brother]    Kumorigoe: is this guy serious?
[Kumorigoe]      Apparently.
[raebakat]           rofl. at least I'm entertaining you guys, being the typical macfag
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, you're going the wrong direction.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe then please point me in the right direction?
[Kumorigoe]      I already did.  You don't like that option.
[Kumorigoe]      Why not get a bigger SSD, then?
[@Big_Brother]                a....bootable....external...partition....
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yeah I probably will, I'm just being a whiny bitch
[@Big_Brother]                sounds stable and blazing fast.
[Kumorigoe]      You can get a 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD for a little over $200.
[Kumorigoe]      And since you already dropped how much on that Mac?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe lulz about 2k
[Kumorigoe]      Yeah.
[Kumorigoe]      And it came with HOW big of an SSD?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe 512
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe its already almost full... X.X
[Kumorigoe]      Wait, is this a Retina model?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe yup
[Kumorigoe]      Well, you're fucked, then.
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe how so?
[Kumorigoe]      Because you can't use a standard 2.5" drive, that's why.
[Kumorigoe]      Because Apple, in their everlasting chase for thin-privilege, decided to go with a proprietary flash-based SSD format.
[@Big_Brother]                you're basically boned on internal storage on the mac tho
[@Big_Brother]                why are you running a VM on a mac?
[@Big_Brother]                why not just bootcamp or parallels?
[raebakat]           well, I use windows programs for work stuff
[@Big_Brother]                ok...
[raebakat]           I have parallels
[raebakat]           I can use that too
[@Big_Brother]                you have bootcamp too
[@Big_Brother]                there's no need for a VM
*             raebakat observes that ironically, this chat isn't tech support at all
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, really?  How so?
[raebakat]           Kumorigoe because you seek to change the parameters of the problem rather than seek a solution
[Kumorigoe]      raebakat, you locked yourself into a set of parameters when you chose your hardware.
[@Big_Brother]                ^
[Kumorigoe]      And because of the issues you've had, you have a misinformed opinion about PC gaming and Windows.
[Kumorigoe]      As evidenced by your quote, "the problem is, PCs suck. terribly. worst operating system on the market. yet, they are still needed because there is so much proprietary software etc."
[+Alexendoo]    ]proprietary (uses a mac)
[Kumorigoe]      Now, I'm not sure whether you've been a long-time Mac user, or are just especially susceptible to their marketing.
[Kumorigoe]      Yeah, that was also amusing.
[@Big_Brother]                LOL WUT
[Kumorigoe]      At any rate, what you're wanting to do, while technically *possible*, will do nothing except reinforce your flawed perceptions of everything not silver and expensive.

[Kumorigoe]      I'm not trying to "change the parameters" of the problem.  I'm trying to *free your mind*.

No comments:

Post a Comment